Saturday, March 07, 2009

Put your Collar Away....PLEASE!

Hey pallies, here's a fashion dude likes who knows where's it at....usin' our Dino as the "perfect example" of how to dress with a collar on your shirt. Enjoys this post from Kenyatte from his blogg tagged "Tweed And Velvet." If you wanna reads this in it's origial form, likes just clicks on the tagg of this Dinogram.... Dinofashionably, DMP


Put your Collar Away....PLEASE!

Okay so it's 3:00 in the morning and I just got home from a night out with friends (I'm a little tipsy so please excuse any misspelled words or gross grammatical errors). I had planned on taking a break and picking back up Saturday morning but here I am.

So, why am I blogging at 3 am on a Friday night, you might ask. Well, first of all, because as good as I am at chatting up a woman and getting her number I am terrible at closing the deal (i.e. I'm at home alone). The second, and most important reason, is because I saw something tonight that I just HAD to come straight home and write about...


WARNING!!

I think I should tell you that it would be best if you prepared yourself for what you are about to see before we continue. The image below could be jarring, even highly disturbing.



This, my friends is what I saw on more than one occasion tonight. I simply don't understand it. What would EVER make you think it would be okay to treat your shirt collar like the rear wing stabilizers on an airplane. It is simply unacceptable. I mean, seriously, this guy looks like his head is coming in for a landing (and the hand on the chin?...like he's thinking?...)The sad reality is that many men think that this is an okay look to execute.

Let me be clear - THIS...IS...NEVER...OKAY!!....EVER!!! (ever, ever, ever, ever).

It doesn't matter what kind of suit jacket or blazer you have on, this look should never be done with a typical 'banded collar' dress shirt. You just end up looking like the kind of guy who knows women named Candy and Mercedes.

For the most astute gentlemen who read the blog, you will notice that I added the caveat of banded collar in the sentence above. That is because this look can be pulled off if you are wearing a 'camp collar' shirt. Camp collar shirts are constructed without a collar band (the stiff strip of fabric that fastens around the neck - the fabric you wrap your tie around). The soft collar is part of the same piece of fabric as the body of the shirt, giving it a truly seamless look. Generally worn unbuttoned, they have a tendency to spread wide and creep over the lapel of a suit jacket or sport coat. The photo of Dean Martin below is a perfect example of how this can look outstanding. Notice how the shirt collar looks like it's there by accident - like it just ended up there throughout the course of the day.





Do it right and you'll look like Dean but please realize that this look is NOT fashion 101. Looking that effortless takes...well...effort.

Make it an Outstanding Day!

- Kenyatte

2 comments:

Keith said...

Hey pallie DMP. Thanks for posting that. That's really cool. Our Dino's definitely a style icon. He really shows us guys had to dress right. Have a great weekend. Cheers! Keith

dino martin peters said...

Hey pallie Keith, as always you are most Dinowelcome...indeed our DINO IS THE ICON OF STYLE....when you seekin' the standard....it is always and only DINO.......